Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Lumosity

Today I want to talk about the smartphone app Lumosity, and how much I'm in love with it. Lumosity's website claims that it's games are all designed by neuroscientists. Sounds awesome. My memory has been affected a lot by Lamictal and my seizures, and I'm always looking for things to help, and this is definitely helping. I've been using the free version, which is way less in depth, but I've been improving on the games steadily. I've pretty much mastered one. If your seizures are at all triggered by intense calculation/quick thinking (mine used to be) I would not recommend this.

My favorite game is "Lost in Migration". There's a group of birds, shaped in different patterns, and you have to slide your finger in the direction of the middle bird. Usually the other birds are facing a different direction, so it can really throw you off.

The one I find the most difficult is called "Chalkboard Challenge". There are either numbers, simple math problems, or slightly more complex math problems on two different cards, and you have to decide which value is higher. That one makes me crazy, but it definitely helps with quick problem solving.

The app is free, and gives you 35 daily training sessions of seven different games. If you want a year's subscription to get all the other games it's 80$ for the year. Not bad. As soon as I have the extra I'm definitely doing it.



No comments:

Post a Comment