Monday, August 26, 2013

It's not always a life sentence

I haven't been writing much lately... Because I'm not quite sure what I want this blog to be. I'm trying to give information for people who are new to epilepsy, but I also want to show that it's not always a life sentence. That there is life after your diagnosis, and that it shouldn't define you. Of course, there are now limitations on what you can and can't do. You probably shouldn't swim if you're actively having seizures, you shouldn't have caffeine, guanine, taurine or ginseng. You shouldn't eat soy, or take sudafed. Depending on where you are you may not be able to drive for up to a year after a seizure... But you can have a good life. I didn't start driving until I was 19. Living in a small town with hardly any public transportation made it hard to have a job, have any kind of social life, or go to school. I had to wait. And it sucks, but I did it. I'm in a committed relationship with an amazing man who understands that sometimes, I can't take care of myself. I babysit my cousin while I'm waiting to be certified as a substitute teacher. I write, I go out with my friends and I even planned my cousin's bachelorette party recently AND WENT BAR HOPPING!!! I caught the bouquet at her wedding :) My life is so happy, despite the fact that I live every day with the fear of having a seizure. It's very real to me, but I've learned that I can't let that decide my fate. I've been through some terrible things, as I'm sure we all have, but I'm ok. And that's what I think I want to convey here. When I was diagnosed, I searched desperately for people who were successful and had taken control of their lives, despite their seizures. And I took so much comfort knowing that contrary to what I believed at the time, it was NOT a death sentence, and my life was NOT over. I think it certainly stunted me a little, I am completely lost as to who I truly am... But at the same time, it's been a VERY interesting ride, and I wouldn't trade a minute of it, because it's made me very humble and more compassionate than I thought possible.
Anyway, I want to help you all, but I also want to share my life with you, messy as it is. So please love each other, stay positive, and don't forget your meds ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment