Saturday, July 27, 2013

Painfully Familiar

Yesterday was my story, now it's Sammy's turn. Sammy is my thirteen year old sister. The best way to describe Sammy is sunshine. She is the happiest, most amazing girl in the world. She's the light of my life, and I would do anything she asked of me. Sammy has always been a lot like me. Scatter brained, creative, clumsy. But when I was diagnosed with epilepsy, we didn't think much about her being epileptic as well. Back in 2011, Sammy had her first seizure. She was playing video games with our sister Emily, and then Emily said "Sam? Mom, something's wrong with Sam. She's having a seizure!" So of course, after everything with me, my mom ran to me, confused, looked me up and down, looked at Emily, looked at Sam then realized, it was happening all over again. I think for all of us, it was the most sickening feeling we'd ever had. I knew what it was like to wake up in the hospital, realizing what had happened. I knew what it was like to ache all over. I knew what it was like to not have control of my own body. But I'd never had to watch someone I loved so much experience something I knew to be so horrible. I was so angry. Why her? Why my beautiful, innocent, sweet, amazing baby sister? I don't know who I blamed. I knew it wasn't god's fault. It wasn't my fault. But some part of me was just so outraged that she of all people had to experience it.
So Sammy was diagnosed with Juvenile Myoclonic Epilepsy, just like me, and she was put on the same meds as me, and much quicker than I was, thanks to her amazing pediatrician at the time. She only had four seizures total, and luckily she doesn't have postictal psychosis. So with any luck, she can get her drivers license when she's 16, and live a normal life...
We have so much to be thankful for. For me and Sammy, we have each other. I wouldn't wish epilepsy on my worst enemy, but at least she has me, at least I have someone living under the same roof that understands me. Yes, I still live with my mom : / Stop laughing ;)
Epilepsy isn't racist, it isn't sexist, and it doesn't care how wonderful or bright your future is, it's victims are each different and epilepsy is different for all of us. Our experiences are different, but this beast ties us all together.

No comments:

Post a Comment