Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Migraines and Epilepsy

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional and you should always discuss any health concerns with your doctor. This blog draws on my personal experience and research and the information contained should not substitute advice or directions from your doctor.

Ok, short post today, but I think this is pretty interesting.

According to epilepsy.com individuals with one disorder are at least twice as likely to have the other. In addition, people with close family members who suffer from a seizure disorder are also more likely to have migraines.

So basically, if you're epileptic, you have a much higher chance of having migraines than the general population. Which quite frankly sucks. I have horrible migraines and tension headaches, and when I told my neurologist about them, he told me that he'd been waiting for that visit.

Migraines, like seizures, are caused by excess electricity in the brain, which explains why so many of us are on an AED like Topamax as a migraine preventative. The link between migraines and epilepsy appears to be stronger in those with a family history of epilepsy, like me and Sammy.

Migraines can be preceded  by an aura, just like a seizure. Migraines are typically accompanied by nausea and extreme sensitivity to light.


http://professionals.epilepsy.com/page/migraine.html
http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/news/Epilepsy_And_Migraine.cfm

No comments:

Post a Comment